Vickers Ruwolt was a Division of Vickers Australia Ltd., was a company
incorporated in the Australian Capital Territory and was listed on
major stock exchanges. It was over one-third owned by the Australian
and employed about 4,000 people around Australia.
The company had its orgins in a small engineering business established
in 1902 by a young engineer called "Chas" Charles Ruwolt in Wangaratta,
Victoria. In those days there was a need for windmills and farm machinary
as well as the maintenance and repair of dredges operating in the
alluvial gold fields of northeast Victoria.
Victoria Street, Richmond sold in late 80's for $ 33 million for
redevelopment. Initial planning, design and development approval for the redevelopment
of the 7.5 hectare industrial site previously used as the Vickers
Ruwolt factory. The proposed development includes 50 medium density
dwellings, a high technology office park providing 67,000 square
metres of office space, 3,000 square metres of retailing and a
100 room hotel.
by Jeff Stewart
(Above) Todays view of what was
once the site of Vicker Ruwolt, now a new suburb known as Victoria
Gardens where IKEA Richmond has open the largest furnishing centre in the